Re: SanDiego Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on May 24, 2004 at 22:14:27:

In Reply to: SoCAL's Best Diving posted by Johnny Kain on May 24, 2004 at 18:18:01:

For a beach dive, my wife and I enjoy LaJolla Shore everytime we go to SD - its a great beach for a beginner and will allow you to adjust weighting for salt water in a really calm surf zone (watch for sting rays - shuffle your feet). Best location is in front of the Marine Room restaurant or the LaJolla Beach and Tennis Club. The site is basically sand, but if you look closely you'll find sand dollars, angel sharks, guitar fish, many different rays, and lobster and crab. The site goes out to the rim of LaJolla canyon at about 60 to 80 feet and drops sharply (not much to see aftr the rim, so we usually skirt ir). Near the rim at twilight you may see squid, octopus, rock fish, sheeps head. If the conditions are calm, try LaJolla Cove which is just around the bend - if the surf is coming in, wouldn't advise it, as it can be a rough beach.

If you have time, book a trip on a boat to San Clemente Island; if you don't, try Catalina. I've heard the Blue Escape is a well run ship out of SD, but we don't have personal experience on it. The drive to Long Beach is about 2 hours and may be worth it to catch a trip on The Great Escape, our favorite boat (and meet Tim, our favorite skipper). Check the Great Escapes web site for schedules - it regularly goes ot San Clemente and Catalina.

Enjoy your trip!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]