i saw the coolest thing last weekend!

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on October 09, 2004 at 11:40:43:

I was swimming at a place that i have dubbed Shangra La, because it is such a perfect rocky habitat that it attracts an incredible variety of fish. It is a 30' long structure with several layers of shelves, some that are 6' deep. I haven't been able to get to that spot in over a year and a half because the kelp had grown too thick.

Last Sunday morning, i decided to just check out the area before the run home. I was thrilled to actually be able to weave my way around the sparce kelp strands and get to the spot. Heart full of anticipation, i slipped into the water and found the reef right away. On my first time down, who do i see? A very special Kelp rockfish; this one had a familliar black birthmark around its right eye. I took a couple pictures of that incredible fish and compared them to some photos that i had taken in the beginning of '03 and and sure enough it was the very same fish! Same fish, same place a year and a half later, i was thrilled!

To me, this is irrefutable evidence of the delicate nature of the ecosystems right here in our own waters. This is why it is so important to set aside certain areas of productive habitat. The populations of resident fish are severely depressed virtually everywhere that people are allowed to take fish in accordence with the current regulations....

There was a Grass Rockfish that i had seen a few times there in '02. i was hoping to see him with his very distinctive tail... maybe next time!

Brad

(loves swimmin with his ol' fish friends!)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]