diver.net

Underwater Fluorescence Photos from San Clemente Island

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on September 07, 2005 at 12:21:18:

I went on Esther & Odin's Grand Tour on the Great Escape last Labor Day weekend, September 3-5, 2005. On the night of September 4 we were at Little Flower on the front side of San Clemente Island. I did a night dive there using my Night Sea fluorescence filters and took interesting photos.

These photos of California Spiny Lobster (Panulirus interruptus) are quite interesting. Almost the entire lobster fluoresces, the red a very weak red, the black parts a bright yellow-green, and many of the small hairs also a bright yellow-green.

Underwater Fluorescence Photograph of a California Spiny Lobster (Panulirus interruptus)

Underwater Fluorescence Photograph of a California Spiny Lobster (Panulirus interruptus)

The following photos are of a Furry Hermit Crab (Paguristes ulreyi). It sensed my presence and hunkered down into it's shell after just 2 shots.

Underwater Fluorescence Photograph of a Furry Hermit Crab (Paguristes ulreyi)

The following photo is a fish I believe is a sculpin I have yet to ID.

Underwater Fluorescence Photograph of a sculpin

This last photo is of a Garibaldi (Hypsypops rubicundus). What surprised my is the complete lack of fluorescence. The Garibaldi is the dark black spot in the lower right portion of the photo.

Underwater Fluorescence Photograph of a Garibaldi (<i>Hypsypops rubicundus</i>)

photos & text © Chris Grossman, all rights reserved

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.