diver.net

Re: Trip Report and Photos: Oil Rigs Elly, Ellen with the Whalers Nov. 13, 2005

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rusty on November 20, 2005 at 09:31:08:

In Reply to: Trip Report and Photos: Oil Rigs Elly, Ellen with the Whalers Nov. 13, 2005 posted by Elaine on November 17, 2005 at 18:51:49:

Hey, thanks for posting this Elaine.

By the time my comp was in the caution zone, I had at least 4 photographers hovering over me banging away like paparazzi. I don’t know who and I haven’t seen their pictures yet.

This whole thing was very strange; the big bully followed me down over 50' so I can’t see it was a territory thing. There were dozens of other cabezon about and none of them objected to my or any other diver’s presence. I was wearing a Kevlar trilaminate drysuit so nothing short of a fair-sized shark could do me damage. But it was not for lack of effort.

This finned thug hit my head, mask and camera. Bit my nose, hands and fingers, pulled on my snorkel, grabbed my regulator and hoses. It wore itself out, settled on my chest to rest and then went back to work on me again. This went on until I had to leave. I went back to the spot on the third dive to use my macro lens and it got after me again but the poor thing was clearly exhausted. Very weird, been diving a long time now and the sea is still full of surprises.

Don’t let yourself dry out now.

RR

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to