diver.net

Shark attack survivor shaken

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on January 17, 2006 at 10:36:37:

In Reply to: shark attack: Diver tells of cheating death in Australia posted by on January 17, 2006 at 10:27:08:

A 46-year-old Perth man is recovering this morning after surviving a shark attack involving a 3.5 metre white pointer.

Sorrento man Bernie Williams was diving for crayfish off City Beach yesterday when the shark took hold of his arm.

He managed to fight it off using a spear gun before reaching the safety of his boat, escaping with only lacerations to his arm.

Mr Williams has described the situation as scary, but says it has not put him off the sport.

"Luckily I was carrying a spear gun and a cray lever at the time, and it chomped on that, chomped me on the arm, took me for a ride for about two metres, shook me up a bit," he said.

"First time it came at me I stabbed it on the nose with a spear gun, but it was just like hitting a lump of steel."

Todd A'Vard from the Fisheries Department says shark patrols will be increased today around City Beach.

He has also warned beach-goers in the area to only swim between the flags.

"I think it's always a concern when people get attacked anywhere off our coast, but I guess you know these things do happen from time to time and I guess our message to everyone is to try to minimise the chance of ever encountering a shark," he said.

"Just be mindful that there are sharks around."

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.