diver.net

Dive report for 2.19.06, Santa Monica Bay

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy S on February 21, 2006 at 10:38:46:

As we loaded the boat at 6:30 a.m., it was hissing down rain but the good news was the lightening made it easier to see. Doppler radar showed that only one large last band of rain remained of the storm and it was on top of us. Indeed, by the time we headed out of Marina del Rey, it was black inland but the skies were clearing out to sea and the wind was barely blowing. We motored out to the rocks where the vis on the bottom at 80' was 15-20’ with no surge at all. Pat tells me the temp on bottom was 56F – I don’t carry a thermometer; I don’t want to know. A real dirty layer of water sat between 10-25’ but it was fine underneath and the bugs were cooperative and plentiful. Since it is breeding season, they tend to come out initially and check you out to see if you are a member of the opposite sex making them a lot easier to grab them. Plus they are bunched up so they get in each other’s way when trying to escape. Even Pat took his limit on a dive or two including some good size bugs but none close to 10 lb so he got to keep ‘em. Rumor has it that Pat can go both ways – he can impersonate (is that the right word?) either a male or female lobster depending on which gender he comes across. A couple of big halibut were seen and admired but since we prefer calico to eat, they were left alone. Also saw a number of fine scale triggerfish that have an established population on these rocks. They are rather shy and go right into the rocks and hang there head in – tail out till you go away. By the third dive, the wind was finally picking up which made it quite “cool” on the boat and so after a dive to collect scallops and “uni”, we headed home.

Now lets see if I can get the pictures to appear...
img src=http://www.pishcadora.org/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album07/MDR_2_19_06.gif

Clouds behind MDR on the way out (photo by Pat Smith).

img src=www.pishcadora.org/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album07/Pat_2_19_06.gif

A happy Pat with our limits– he did not takeover his limit.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to