diver.net

Indonesian Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dawhale on May 13, 2006 at 05:45:49:

In Reply to: yep, I was there posted by scottfiji on May 13, 2006 at 01:24:51:

Tom, I am a big fan of the diving in Indonesia. My wife and I are headed back to Bali this fall to dive the Spice Islands. This will be my fourth trip to Indonesia. I have been to:

„« Sangalaki Island, Kalimantan
„« Bunaken Island, Manado
„« Lembeh Strait
„« Komodo Island
„« Alor Island
„« Flores Island

While it is true Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world, Bali is mainly Hindu. My personal opinion is to avoid the tourist areas of Kuta. Both bombings have been there and a seafood restaurant in Jimbaran bay. The better dive areas are in the north-northeast and northwest, far from Kuta. Airfares are excellent this year. My fall airfare with the # 1 airline in the world, Singapore Airlines, is running about $900 round trip. Cathy Pacific is running a special right now of $823 round trip from Lax. I have personally never dived around the Bali area because I do not like beach diving but from the people I have talked to it is pretty good. I do not like crowds and I understand the beach diving can get crowded. I highly recommend Grand Komodo Tours http://www.komodoalordive.com/ for their live-aboards. They pioneered the diving in this area. They are Indonesian owned and operated. The diving in and around Komodo is excellent and I would go so far as to say world class. The diversity is mind boggling. I would liken the Caribbean as a desert in comparison. Feel free to contact me off the forum if you need more info. Just drop the no spam from my address. dawhale

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to