diver.net

Bad conditions are back

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 11, 2006 at 11:35:11:

Date: June 11, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Merry, Shanon and Evil Jeff
Time: 8:19
Bottom Time: 42 minutes
Max Depth: 35'
Vis: 5'
Wave height: 1-3'
Temp at depth: 55F
Comments: I opened the gate at 6:30 for the guys from Scubaboard who had to be in the water by 7:15. Naturally, they didn't show up. That's alright. I figured I could get in two early dives. After waiting for everyone else we finally headed down to the cove around 8:00. The conditions were worse than yesterday with five feet vis and 55F water, down from 61F yesterday. We spoted two comb jellies swimming by before descending. Jeff towed Shanon out to our drop off spot and we all went in search of the Mantis shrimp. Jeff spotted it and Shanon and I took pictures for a long time. I managed to get a couple that I saved. I forgot to bring the cod fillets, so he only came out of his burrow a few inches.

After getting enough shots we decided to head into the reef and look around. I stopped to check on my buddies and when I turned back I saw the Snake Eel right in front of me. He was about 100 feet away from where his burrow was before. We got lucky. While taking pictures of it, a sand star crawled across his face and wouldn't leave.

With the cold water and poor vis, Merry and I headed back in while Jeff and Shanon headed for the 120 Reef. We timed our exit badly and I tore a hole in my drysuit. Time to break out the repair tape again. I have one more week of vacation left. I hope to get in a few more dives like yesterday, but despite the conditions and bad exit, I really enjoyed the dive today.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to