diver.net

Crime is alive and well in Bonaire

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on June 21, 2006 at 15:14:53:

Hi kids.......

Just getting back from Bonaire........currently sitting the San Juan airport waiting for my connection. Sorry to report that crime on Bonaire is alive and well.

Someone broke into our bungalow at Sorobon (east side of the island - far from the west side resorts) in the middle of the night last night (while we were asleep in the next room) and took the keys to our rental car and bungalow, along with my purse. My husband did hear a noise and went to investigate. The front door was wide open, but he thought it was the wind, not a burglar, that was responsible (It really blows on the east side and our bungalow faced directly into the wind). We didn't even know there was a problem until he suddenly couldn't find the car keys when we went to load up the car on the way to the airport.

Not the best way to end a vacation - especially since we suddenly had to find alternative transportation at 6am to get us all the way across the island, and report the crime to the police and rental car agency while still making our 8am departure.

It could have been a lot worse.....I had my passport and drivers lisence tucked away in my cargo pants and we've already cancelled my credit cards. But it's creepy and scary that someone would break in while were there....

Other than that, I really loved Bonaire - especially the "wild" east side. I'll have a trip report later, as soon as I get my slides developed and scanned.......

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to