diver.net

Perspective

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on June 22, 2006 at 10:54:20:

In Reply to: Good points posted by Walt on June 22, 2006 at 09:28:15:

Osborne, the Oil Rigs, The Moody, Miguel in wind and current, and any number of other local dive sites. They are all not places for beginners. When conditions are bad, they are not places suitable for anyone.

When I was "certified" the recreational limit was considered to be 150 feet but my level of comfort was only to about 50 feet. Twenty years later, in reasonable diving conditions, I can go to 150 feet, complete a safe 40 minute total dive profile with an al 80 and get back on the boat with 1000 psi. In my experience - "recreational diving" is like playing the piano - if you love it and do it all of the time - eventually you can do with it what they said was possible way back in the basic open water class. Classes are great but there is no substite for doing a lot of time in the water to gain experience.

For the most part - hanging on a Jon line, in a current, for a long trip to the surface after a fairly short dive, with not much to see on the way up isn't my cup of tea. If that is what you mean about Osborne not being within recreational limits I totally agree with you. Had there been schools of fish, or anything much at all to see during the ascent I would definitely classify the site as recreational.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to