diver.net

Best fin for beach diving and (possible) user error...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on August 14, 2006 at 15:57:57:

In Reply to: Is there a design flaw in jet fins? posted by Elaine on August 14, 2006 at 13:24:54:

They grip the bottom sand or rocks like no other fin and are extremely rugged.

If you go in fins off, there's a chance you'll lose them if you get hit by a good sized wave, as they are negativly bouyant, typically black on black (though you can get them in yellow), and naturally heavy. For this reason, I always go in and come out fins on (plus it gives better control if you do get knocked down). Davey Jones only knows where the lost ones end up, as I've never found one yet.

I've found several other diferent brands in the surf - usually a nice new plastic split fin (newbie?); my guess is that they don't post their loss. I usually take them to the closest local dive shop figuring the owner will go there.

There are props and cons to the spring straps - I prefer them as they are virtually impossible to break (my Mantas would rip the fin strap tabs off before they'd come lose). I've heard some say springs can lose tension, but mine are the same as the day I bought them (about 200 dives ago).

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to