diver.net

the compass handy as a backup?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by george austin on August 23, 2006 at 13:25:39:

In Reply to: I love mine....most of the time posted by Elaine on August 22, 2006 at 13:34:21:

shouldn't the new geegaw be a back up? Whatever happened to the philosophy that if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Most right thinking "divers" and i use that term lightly considering the state of readiness and skill of todays scuba enthusiasts, would, since they cannot navigate, just stay under the boat. They would be far less likely to put themselves at risk but more importantly they'd be less likely to put someone else in harms way. Thats right, just jump off the boat and stay directly under the boat until its time to surface. I figure, if a person can't figure out this most basic skill (navigation) it just makes sense to never lose visual/aural contact with the vessel. What am I missing here?? Scout tracker. dive tracker whatever it is, its another baby bottle security blanket for the unskilled and dangerous. Especially if you depend on it.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to