diver.net

Re: Re: Baja trip report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on October 20, 2006 at 10:42:30:

In Reply to: Re: Baja trip report posted by Captain Kevin on October 19, 2006 at 19:40:57:

Kevin wrote: "We were on the Club Cantamar boat “Uno Mas” that day."

And we (me personally and my buddy) were the bubbles the bonehead captain dropped his anchor on. Missed us by about 10 feet. (Not blaming you of course. Other boats have had problems with that guy before.) I was sorely tempted to go over and remove the anchor shackle from the chain but thought better of it. They did the same thing to our grup last year on El Bajo, then, when we said something, yelled at us for diving in "their" spot.

"That school of scad was absolutely amazing."

That's an understatemement. Had to be the biggest school I've ever seen. Now realize there were TWO schools. There was one that was on the other side of the rock from where we all were anchored, but the HUGE school was actually north of all the boats (towards Espiritu de Santo) out in the rubble field.

"Currents definitely picked up during our second dive, and one or our group got swept off the pinnacle. The Fun Baja boat grabbed him and brought him back."

Yeah, apparently he was spotted from our boat a good 15 minutes before anyone went out and got him. He sure did drift a ways out.

"They told us that they haven’t seen mantas there in the last couple of years, and didn’t know why. I hope it’s not diver pressure, or worse yet, harvesting."

Most likely they're just migratory. A few of the ones who had been spotted at La Reina have recently been spotted down at Soccoro so it may just be that we had our 5 years of manta sightings and they moved on.

Glad you had as good a time as we did.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full