diver.net

OML 120 Reef 12/8

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on December 08, 2006 at 23:37:57:

Date: 12/8/06
Dive Location: OML 120 Reef
Buddy(ies): Jimmy
Time: 9:32 am
Bottom Time: 70 min
Max Depth: 47 feet
Vis: 10 or so
Wave height: 1.5 to 2.5 ft
Temp at depth: 59F
Surface Temp: 62F
Tide information: Pushing High
Comments:

Met up Jimmy for our regular Friday morning dive. The weather was nice, just slightly cloudy. With the impending swell in mind, I went to go check out the point. The point looked do-able because of the high tide. However, I did not like the way the waves were moving across the shore on the way back to Cobble Beach. I felt that we might be fighting the current on the way back. With this in mind, I decided that we should check out the 120 reef for a more leisurely dive.

Getting out was easy even though some larger waves were coming in closer to the cove area near the point. The visibility did not look promising as we kicked out to the end of the point. Jeez what a difference a week makes. Last week we had 30 ft visibility and today it was pretty surgy with 10 ft or so visibility. That said, we had a pretty great dive. We took our time and made our way on the right side of the reef to the end and then followed it back on the other side working our way back and forth. As we made our way into the thick kelp area on the other side of the point, we noticed that the surge was not so bad because of how it was protected by the rock point.

After we got out, we talked to a couple of guys who entered at the point and worked their way back to Cobble Beach. Basically, that said it was a bitch of a trip coming back. It looks like I called it right today….lol

With some creature ID help from Scott, below are some pictures from today.

Baby Gorgonian

Cabazon

Diaulula Nobilis

Greenling Up Close

Octo (Big Guy Out In The Open!)

Island Kelp Fish

Sun Star (Up Close)

Yellow Dorid Love

Tree Fish & Brittle Star

Yellow Chin Fringehead

Yellow Chin Fringehead (Close Up)

Odd Rock