diver.net

The storm before the calm

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on February 07, 2007 at 18:52:41:

I tried to sneak in a dive this afternoon at Marineland before the storm this weekend. The ocean look flat enough as I drove around the peninsula so I geared up without checking conditions. I walked down to the Point to find sets of 4-6 feet. The lull was manageable so I went for it. I made it on the third try. The first two were somewhat scary.
I dropped down on the pinnacles to check on the statues. Our Lady of the Garden is now home to several dozen limpets and barnacles. Jesus had a seastar on him, but he is quickly fading into a distant memory. I'm glad I got pictures from the day we set it there.
Along the way back to the cove, I found dozens of egg-laying nudis. The finger sponge that I've been monitoring for over a year is almost devoured by the resident San Diego dorids. I also had a sea lion buzz me a few times. Too bad Ken and Claudette's BB gun isn't in the sand of Marineland. :)
I timed my exit at the cove in six foot surf and made it out without falling. I guess Jesus performed one last miracle for me.
See if you can guess what the last image is. I thought I had found something new until I looked more closely.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to