diver.net

The sexist attitudes in Cabo San Lucas - extremely abundant

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on April 09, 2007 at 15:11:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Welcome to Mexico - Gestapo Style posted by jlyle on April 09, 2007 at 11:34:48:

I also should mention the sexist attitudes that I have experienced in my short stay here.

It started with the clear statement by the Representative of the Mexican Government (the customs official) who stated clearly in good English that one of the reasons that he was doing what he was doing was because I was a "Single Female traveling Alone" with so much stuff (dive gear and underwater camera equipment) which he thought was highly unusual. What is this country south of our border anyway? American women have taken great offense lately of the sexism that exists in the middle east. Well, my personal experience is that the Mexican Government is just as active in archaic sexist attitudes and sexual harassment - just in a different form.

I also noticed while walking around in downtown Cabo San Lucas that a Birka might have been appropriate wear. After 4 hours of "chicka, chicka, chicka - along with this idiotic clicking noise coming out of the mouths many of the Mexican men who were locals - I was totally grossed out. They click a lot worse than Catalina Garibaldis by the way. I was wearing loose jeans and a t shirt and I really think a birka would have been the only way to walk around in peace. Maybe women here just aren't supposed to go out in public alone.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to