diver.net

A new scooter

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben on July 08, 2007 at 20:02:28:

Hello all.

We're introducing a new underwater propulsion device on Monday, and I thought I'd give you guys a heads up. This new scooter, named the Armjet, is a derivative of our Jetboots (J-DPS) product line but aimed more at the recreational diver.

We basically took the guts of a single Jetboot thruster and half of a standard Jetboot battery and stuck them into a 5" diameter aluminum cylinder. You use the resulting DPV as a one-handed scooter, with your arm either straight out in front of you, or bent and below you (imagine the arm position of bicep curl but with your palm perpendicular to your body). You can probably hook it to a crotch D-ring by looping a cord around the base of the arm ring, but I haven't tried it yet.

The resulting DPV has about 25 lbs of thrust but only weighs 9 lbs. It is pretty close to neutral in salt water. Now the best part - we made the front a dome port, so we can stick some interesting things in there - like a 10 or 21 Watt HID light running off the main battery, or a video camera.

This little unit is really fun. It is hard to believe something so small can put out this much thrust, especially since the battery lasts almost an hour at 75% throttle. This isn't designed for a tech diver in doubles and a drysuit, but it moves a skin diver or a person in a compact tropical rig around really well.

I think this is really a new class of scooter –a microscooter. It is extremely small and portable so it easy to travel with. Doubling as a nice HID light is also nice. We're starting to take orders on Monday. The price for a place in the first production run will be $2500. Mention you're from the Deco Stop and we'll take off $100.

More information is available www.jetboots.com. I’ll check back here to answer any questions.

Hopefully we'll have some more pictures and video up soon - any volunteers?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to