diver.net

Hall City Cave

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on December 08, 2007 at 17:41:27:

A friend of mine just bought some property up in Trinity County in a place called Hay Fork. He told me about a cave up in the area just out of Wildwood off hwy 36 called Hall City Cave.
From what he told me the cave is about a 0.3 mi hike up a hill and the entrance to the cave is kind of at the base of a limestone shelf. The cave goes in about 200 yards, begins to slope down and ends at a pool of water. Local lore says that during the gold rush years a group of robbers threw a few bags of stolen gold into the water to hide it, but little did they know that the lake was quite deep and they had no way to recover it. Indian lore has it that the site was also used as an ancient indian burial and spiritual site.

About a year ago my friend told me that a group of exploration divers did a dive in that underwater cavern and never found any bags of gold or indian bones, but they never reached the bottom either. They reached their MOD at 270 feet and had to turn around.

If this place is everything they tell me it is then we have one hell of a fresh water cave dive right here in our back yard.
There are a lot of gold prospectors that move up to that area to actually make a living mining and dredging for gold. Many of them have utilized scuba gear or hookah to get down in the holes in the streams, but a dive like the Hall City Cave is way out of reach for anybody living up there. That takes a lot of special training and equipment.

Are there any cavers on this board that might be reading this? Have you ever heard of the Hall City Cave?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to