diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Bush Exempts Navy From Environmental Law

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Clark on January 19, 2008 at 16:43:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bush Exempts Navy From Environmental Law posted by DougD on January 18, 2008 at 21:38:12:

"I guess you are unaware that China is building subs now and actually had one surface in the middle of one of our fleets. Surprise!
Russians still have nuclear armed subs patrolling our shores as well."

I googled the Chinese sub incident. I wonder why didn't US Navy sonar didn't detect them. It's not like it's new technology... Perhaps the navy lookouts/operators weren't being diligent. The technology behind the Chinese stealth maneuver is diesel electric power, which is quiet. But that wouldn't have any impact on the effectiveness of sonar. And why would China care to attack their biggest trading partner? Are you sure there are Russian nuclear subs patrolling the coast here? Are we at war with Russia? You make it sound like we're being stalked by these two countries. It is vitally important to hone our military defenses but why always at such great cost to the environment. The US Navy is the biggest ocean polluter in the world. Many of Bush's policies are so anti-environment it's criminal. Could we not test sonar somewhere outside the path of one of the world's great whale migrations? Once the environment's destroyed there will be nothing left worth fighting over. Striking a balance with the earth we live on is more important these days than it has ever been... but we always seem to put that on the back burner.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to