diver.net

Topside Photo Question - begging for your indulgence

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on January 20, 2008 at 22:11:26:

Hey gang, I had an odd problem today while taking some topside pictures and thought maybe someone here is up to speed on pictures in air as well as pictures in water.

Using a Nikon DSLR with a Nikon 300mm F5.6 zoomer lens. Got a circular polarizer in a filter kit the other day (had to buy a new UV because old UV filter broke in a fall and saved the expensive lens and the new filter came with some other filters in the kit). Shooting surfers at a contest in Huntington Beach and thought my eyes were going bad. Turns out that this thing throws off the focus - even the manual focus! When in manual I hit the infinity stop and needed another fraction of a turn. At 130mm and below, it was OK. It is as if this filter was changing the focus, but the filter appears to have no distortion when I look thru it in my hand. I have never seen anything like this before. If I shoot things closer than infinity it focuses fine -- manual or auto. It is just that the lens needs to turn a little more when wearing the filter. Other than everything in the water being out of focus, I liked the ability to dial out the glare.

Any photogs ever have this problem?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.