diver.net

vet's report/photos from last night

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scottfiji on April 04, 2008 at 12:14:57:

I did my 1st dive in 6 weeks last night with kalani, at redondo beach, 8PM.

Surf was not bad, vis very poor from 0-35ft, poor from 35-65ft, and just so-so past 65ft, with lots of particles in the water. water was quite cold at 51 degrees. some surge from the long-period swell.

sightings include fringehead, pipefish, a large sheep crab, many octos, a hermissenda, and the very interesting critters in my photos. very tough conditions for photography, with lots of backscatter in each photo.

well, it was great to get back into the water. during the last 6 weeks I had a bad flu, had to wait for my housing to be repaired, some new camera equipment, etc. people tell me I haven't missed much in terms of conditions the last 2 months. well I hope they improve soon!

kalani and I almost had to cancel the dive due to the "3 strikes rule". my computer battery died, but I still had a depth gauge. kalani's strobe wasn't working. and when I got in the water and put on my OMS jetstream fins, one of the fin straps broke. I hate rubber straps, I need spring straps. well, I got out of the water and examined the strap, it turns out there was enough of strap left for me to re-insert it, although it took a few minutes since I had my camera strapped to my chest. I went back in the water and carefully put both fins on. success! and guess what, kalani's strobe started working again, so we both enjoyed the dive.

small blue shrimp, these guys are really pretty

jelly in space

"sea pen shrimp" - my first time seeing this tiny guy, you can see him on the polyps of the sea pen.I rotated the photo to landscape view for easier viewing (sea pens rise up verically from the sand), you can see a couple of those tiny annoying luminophillic shrimp to the right.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to