diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Wanted: Alive!

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jim on September 19, 2008 at 09:59:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Wanted: Alive! posted by halibug on September 19, 2008 at 09:47:10:

I was a bug hunter with varying degrees of success and looked forward to getting into the water at 12:01 a.m. on opening night. Did other hunting for abalone (quite legal back then), scallops, crab, etc (never did much spear fishing) so I am well aware of the rewards of hunting. I still do hunt. I never did take more than needed for immediate consumption.

My beef isn't with hunters who take and eat, it is with hunters who take and don't eat. Why take an animal that you have no intention of consuming? Little better than trophy hunting in my book, even if you let it go. As far as releasing for the "good of the species," considering the stress that removing a lobster from its environment causes, the best thing to do for the species is to leave it alone. If you are concerned about an individual's effect on the population, why stress it to begin with? I doubt that you will ever get that point, so let's just leave it at that

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to