diver.net

Re: Diving in Belize?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by McLovin on January 13, 2009 at 15:17:30:

In Reply to: Diving in Belize? posted by McShagger on January 13, 2009 at 09:50:01:

Went in May 2007. Stayed at Costa Maya resort. They have a small dive operation on site. They do 2 tank boat dives each AM. You can schedule a night dive at Hol Chan if you want. That's the only night or afternoon dives that we found there. There's an interesting barrier reef about 1/4 mile offshore that you can canoe out to and snorkel. The depth ranges from 3-6 feet for most of it. I saw lots of interesting things out there including big nurse sharks, bone fish, loggerheads, nudi's, etc.

I did a trip to Turneffe but didn't do the Blue Hole. Turneffe was incredible. In general the whole trip was wonderful. It's the same kind of water as Cozumel but I saw far more fish. I mean something like 10X more! The reefs are also just amazing. I hope to go back.

The dive shop at Costa Maya was good. My only complaint is that the DMs just harass the sh*t out of the nurse sharks, rays, turtles and whatever else they can catch. I know it generally gets them good tips from the resort diver yahoos to catch something and drag it over but it really bugged me.

http://ross-o.smugmug.com/gallery/5146012_STAEG#313482493_Qjcoz

Next time I'll probably spend a few days at Costa Maya for the diving + R&R and a few days in San Pedro for diving and poking around town. The Blue Hole & Turneffe trips leave out of San Pedro.

I found the people of Belize to be super friendly and fun to be around. Of course I find almost all people to be this way so it might just be me :-)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to