diver.net

Vanishing Bug Populations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bug Hugger on February 19, 2009 at 05:07:38:

In Reply to: Re: Bug population posted by dave on February 18, 2009 at 23:08:13:

Populations can vanish before your eyes, here's an excerpt from an article on an entirely different subject, but the time line is disturbing to me. I hope we can all work together (consumers/non consumers) and pool the knowledge that's been well earned to help out here in Cali. Some folks like to photo them and some folks like to wrestle them, I get it! ....but if they're ALL gone??...........

__________________________________________________________________________________

Lobster fishing is a $50 million industry in Nicaragua and Honduras, by far the most lucrative business (some would say the only business) on the legendarily remote Mosquito Coast. And like any industry, it has its costs. First, as with most resources packaged as products, lobster stocks are finite. The catch has been declining since the mid-1990s as a result of overfishing, which has not only depleted the lobster population but also wrought severe damage upon seagrasses and coral reefs. The shallows, as they are called, have been fished out. Old-timers talk of days when all one had to do was wade a few feet into the water to snare a lobster. Now, three decades after the arrival of the scuba tank, divers on the Mosquito Coast typically descend to 120 feet before seeing lobsters. Every year, with more processing plants and boats in operation to meet growing demand, the divers go deeper to find the remaining lobsters.
__________________________________________________________________________________

From the article:

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-14119372_ITM

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to