diver.net

Misty May

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on May 31, 2009 at 15:12:26:

No, not THAT Misty May. The past two days have been chilly and misty here in Los Angeles. Perfect drysuit weather. I don't overheat gearing up and stay relatively warm once I get my suit on. We loaded up the truck, including the Bottomtime Buggy. It was the first time my little red wagon has been back to Marineland since its evil little wheels broke my foot in January. No such problems today, although I did try to get Psycho Solo Diver to ride it down the hill to remove mud from the tires. He declined. He's not quite as dumb as he looks.
As for the dive, the ocean did us a favor today by remaining flat. We had an uneventful entry and headed for the Point. I told Merry it would be easier to swim inside the kelp line rather than having to make a longer surface swim on the outside. Bad idea. We had to drop into shallow water near the point and swim under the kelp. Because of the extra swimming, we never made it all the way to the pinnacles.
We did find an abundance of nudibranchs and eggs, as well as several orgies of sea hares making spaghetti.
Cadlina flavomaculata, Cuthona divae, a tiny Flabellina trilineata, Hermissenda crassicornis and Diaulula sandiegensis were everywhere to be seen. The place is crawling with slugs.
Visibility was a decent twelve to fifteen feet, with water temperature a brisk 53F. The hot water shower at the new Terranea Resort public pool felt extra nice today.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket