diver.net

Re: Great White at Blue Caverns?

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Benavides on July 30, 2009 at 19:21:30:

In Reply to: Great White at Blue Caverns? posted by ChrisM on July 24, 2009 at 14:37:42:

Over the course of the last 40 years I have been diving that area I have not had the pleasure of meeting the landlord on an up close and personal basis. I have however had many face-to-face conversations with Wrigley Institute staff and researchers who continually witness evidence of shark predation on sea lions in the channel between bird rock in the blue cavern reserve.as I remember these are more prevalent outside the summer season.

Again, although I have not personally seen them there myself, I have been in the water on dives where others in our party have had encounters with great white sharks at the nearby Isthmus high spot and the West End. I don't think I will ever forget the look on Amy Anders face or how big her eyes were when she swam up to me after being buzzed by an adolescent white shark when we were diving on the West End of Catalina Island! Talk about Betty Davis Eyes!

A few years ago there was a large white shark who spent a lot of time cruising between long point and Avalon about a mile offshore. They are pretty common around Catalina, especially around the major points. It's a good thing they don't actively seek just for food. Then again, I do resemble a seal!

If you want specific information on the frequency of the shark predation at the blue Tavern reserve I suggest you contact a member of the science staff at the Wrigley Institute and inquire as to what their frequency has been recently

Steve
Benavides

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to