diver.net

Re: 2009 Spearfishing Nationals - Leo Carillo, August 6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on August 12, 2009 at 16:05:49:

In Reply to: 2009 Spearfishing Nationals - Leo Carillo, August 6 posted by DiveIn805 on August 10, 2009 at 12:13:20:

Nice, Real nice...

Average weight for the fish taken was 2.6 lbs. Plus shooting Sheephead!?

Sh*t! Sheephead? That's like shooting your dog, and dog tastes better! Sheephead are prime guardians of the kelp forest. Anybody who dives at all has seen these creature with urchin spines imbedded in thier lips and chin. They keep the prickley little kelp eaters at bay, and these guys are shooting them and smiling about it - what dunces.

For full disclosure - Yes, I shoot fish. When I want fish I will shoot A fish, just one for immediate dinner. Not to prove a point, not to impress my friends or peers, or to donate to a homeless kitchen to assuage my guilt over decimating a kelp habitat... And holding a contest like this at Leo Carillo, shooting up one of the most popular beach dive, kelp forest locations on the south coast - What are they thinking? If they must do this, make it a single fish tourney with the targeted fish more of a challenge than Sheephead and cabezon. How about the only fish to be accepted would be - yellowtail, white seabass, and I'll give you halibut, too.

Sometimes being a human embarasses me.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.