diver.net

Re: Do you carry a sharp knife or scissors?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on November 14, 2009 at 16:14:53:

In Reply to: Do you carry a sharp knife or scissors? posted by Dave Gaines on November 13, 2009 at 16:12:53:

Check the navigtation regulations. The diver down flag is just a decoration on the ocean once you're offshore.... you are referring to an Alfa (aka Alpha) flag and, yes, other boats are to stay clear of it, though the requirement of Rule 27 is more that the dive vessel operator has to display it. There is no hard distance imposed - just that other operators are to maintain a distance and safe speed, watching for divers who may be in the vicinity.

As for Captains "all know that's not safe." I've had a commercial fishing party boat anchor next to me at Deer Creek and a speedboat heard toward me off White Point. Maybe they are not part of the 'all' you mention. Most weekend boaters and especially testerone-laden jet skiers use a diver down flag and float as a slalom marker.

Some of the newer fiching line is near impossible to cut without trauma shears (yes, I carry them, plus a knife).

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to