diver.net

Re: Memories of Susan Grant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Maciek on September 21, 2010 at 00:09:44:

In Reply to: Memories of Susan Grant posted by Max Bottomtime on September 20, 2010 at 15:17:43:

I remember first time I met Susan, when she pulled up to the parking lot in Ventura in pink porsche and unloaded her pink tank to bring it on board of Spectre. A quintessence of female diver.

I remember diving with Susan at Leo at night. huge wave came up and picked her up, turned her upside down and slammed her head first into the only rock that was on a beach. She picked herself up and we went in again and did the dive. She had black eye for a whole week afterward. She was a tough girl.

I remember her stories about diving in Michigan under ice.

I remember night dive at Leo where she got in and I got skunked and tossed and lost one of my contacts. We didn't dive that day.

I remember one of lobster dives where he played a standoff with thresher shark trying to snatch her lobster. She got a lobster at the end.

I remember road trip to Monterey going through all her childhood places and talking about horse shows she took part in. It was heartbreaking to hear how she missed it.

I remember out Tech 1 class. Where we bonded very close for a good year, preparing, training, passing the class. One of the days her drysuit flooded completely. She never mentioned it until we were done.

I remember our graduation dive where she was out of air with me with no mask. She took us both safely to the surface and we passed.

I remember her Norwegian lutefisk I never got to try.

I remember her managing scuba shop at Sport Chalet in Porter Ranch. Making this location bloom with activity and students.

I remember our first helium dive with her and Jon. Missile tower in San Diego. Scripps Canyon, Caissons, various spots Ray dropped us on. These were a good times.

I remember crazy hikes we did around PV by night for lobsters.

Last time I saw her was at the Scuba show. As cheerful a always. Last time I heard from her was when she wished me happy birthday. Barely a week before she passed away.

She will always be in my heart on every dive I make. She loved the ocean and was a great friend. I would not be who I am without Susan being there in my life.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to