diver.net

Re: Nice guys finish last

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on October 15, 2010 at 14:14:04:

In Reply to: Nice guys finish last posted by Mike M on October 15, 2010 at 12:44:36:

It's a tough one. I am self employed and have had people do stuff to me financially that was less than ethical and bordering on illegal. It sucks!

I don't exactly know how the charter boat business works but it sounds like there needs to be an earlier cut off date before full refunds are given. Maybe a little closer to the date and the ampount refunded is pro rated. then by lets say 2 or three weeks before the trip no refund. At least this way he has some way to recoup the costs. If a group can't fill the boat that's not Tim's problem, they need to find a way to pay for it in advanced even if only three people go.

I have had the reverse happen to me. I worked with a fishing charter guy to get a diving charter boat going and I had all the money from people ready to go. At the last minute the captain called me and tells me that the Salmon run was hot so he booked the boat out for salmon instead, and if I wanted to still run the trip I needed to come up with X amount of dollars more. I told him we had a deal and he said what deal?
I had to send back all the checks and make phone calls. Some people were coming from afar. It was a real nightmare and he made me look like an idiot.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to