diver.net

Re: Dive Begg Rock on Fri-Sat July 22-23, 2011 aboard the Peace

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg on July 17, 2011 at 06:29:26:

In Reply to: Dive Begg Rock on Fri-Sat July 22-23, 2011 aboard the Peace posted by The Sea Divers on July 14, 2011 at 17:43:47:

This is unquestionably a "bucket list" dive for any diver; especially people that enjoy California diving. It is an exposed rock in the middle of nowhere so conditions don't always allow for a safe visit. Any trip that plans to go there has to have a "Plan B" and they all do.

I only got there once. It felt like flying around and over the matterhorn. So much white and sheer walls, cracks, crevices! I was literally in awe and just speechless (not that I could say anything down there anyways...). I remember coming up just buzzed and thinking, "did I really see that!" It's very tempting to go deeper than you should so decide on your max depth before you jump in and don't deviate from that. You'll see plenty at 130' or above. It still has giant scallops and life that you may not see on other frequently visited pinnacles. If you have a camera, even a little "pea-shooter" like me, bring it because you may not get back there soon. It is an advanced dive but you'll get a good dive briefing to help you. Don't let the briefing or the fact that its advanced spook you. If you're an experienced, safe diver who listens to the briefing and makes a mental plan, you'll be fine. So, jump in, relax, and enjoy the show!

Even though there is a chance that conditions will cause a prudent Captain to opt for a Plan B, sign up for Begg Rock trips anytime you can. You may very well hit it this time or next time but eventually you WILL make it out there and when you do it will be worth any or all of the times you had to wave off.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to