diver.net

The Unusual and Unexpected at Topaz Pilings

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on January 31, 2012 at 09:34:50:

We had so much fun at the pilings with Kevin Lee on Sunday that we enticed Margaret Webb to join us for an afternoon dive yesterday. Instead of taking his camera, Phil ran line to include the northernmost piling that Kevin found. This left Maggie D and I to our own devices.

Within minutes of descending, we encountered a school of 2 dozen juvenile market squid, measuring no more than 3 inches long. They remained in a synchronized hover, and allowed us to get close. At some angles they appeared almost transparent, so our cameras had difficulty focusing. Strobe fire gave them a slight jolt, but they stayed put, remaining near the line for at least 45 minutes. However, at the approach of a sea lion, they bolted, leaving filmy little ink clouds behind.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now THIS is one of the strangest sights I've ever seen underwater. The crab was very much alive, but perhaps lost one of its claws in a fishy tussle with a sea lion.

Photobucket

Still clutching its prize, it managed to right itself eventually.

Photobucket

Although we haven't found Craig Hoover's three (new-to-us) Topaz nudi species yet, I happened upon Catriona columbiana on Sunday.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

An old and crusty Triopha maculata. It was huge!

Photobucket

Photobucket

An unusually robust Flabellina trilineata.

Photobucket

This snail caught my eye as it whipped and spiraled itself across the sand. Kevin said this is an escape response. Note the operculum on its foot.

Photobucket

We've seen several juvenile sarcastic fringeheads sheltering in grasses.

Photobucket

Hemphill's kelp crab.

Photobucket

The Carmen Miranda of hermit crabs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title: