diver.net

It was a Mola-Marti day.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on March 04, 2012 at 20:20:32:

In Reply to: Great end to a disappointing weekend posted by Max Bottomtime on March 04, 2012 at 17:32:06:

As we motored south along PV, we were surprised to receive a hail from Walter Marti on the Mary Q. Along with Peter Gallup and Linda Blanchard, he planned to dive Hawthorne Reef. Although the surface water there looked very, very good, Phil was on a mission to dive the Jenny Lynne wreck.

Walter, Linda, and Peter.

Photobucket

Surface was flat and divers were exiting Long Point at Marineland (look closely).

Photobucket

Photobucket

While Phil bounced the Jenny Lynne, two Mola molas hung around our stern.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Checking in later with the Mary Q crew, we learned of stellar vis and a robust mola mola cleaning station. (We can't wait to see the video and photos from their two dives.) On this news, we hustled to anchor west of their boat and find the molas.

Our dive started typically enough - 52 degrees, 30' vis.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And then the dive turned exciting! Just about 6 min from my NDL, I uncovered a new nudi for us, Conualevia alba. It was no more than ~5 mm, and there wasn't time to look for a larger one.

Photobucket

Ascending the anchor line, I was casually trying to photograph the occasional thimble-size jelly, when there they were! Two molas, one being cleaned and the other one waiting. I had about 2 seconds to change camera settings and strobes. If only I had opened the aperture one more stop!

Photobucket

One shot and they were off.

Photobucket

You can take Walter out of the water, but you can't take the camera out of his hands.

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.