diver.net

Re: Upcoming The Sea Diver Meetings

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SDM on March 31, 2012 at 08:04:49:

In Reply to: Upcoming The Sea Diver Meetings posted by Peter on March 29, 2012 at 23:12:00:

Peter

FYI

The proper terms are;
...LA County Certified UNDERWATER Instructors....
When the LA County program was established in 1954 the term SCUBA was not in common usage, therefore the activity was called "Underwater Instruction" and those certified by the program were called "Underwater Instructors."

It is Noted that he term SCUBA had been around since 1952, coined by the late great Dr Chris Lambertson to describe his civilian model of his WW 11 military rebreather, however the term "SCUBA" did not come into common recreationaL usage until Dick Klein used the term to describe his Heathways diving products.

The LA Co Advanced Diving Program was first and still the foremost Advanced Diving program in the world was established in 1967, and has been developing True Advanced Divers every year since inception via the summer "LA Co Advanced Divers program."

The "3-Rs" Program was an off shoot of the LA Co Underwater Instructor program and the LA Co ADP and came along about ten years later. It was developed to augment the very poor training provided by the alphabet training programs which came to life in the very late 1970s.

Diving history is rapidly being lost into I think I believe I suppose, I heard, therefore in the future when quoting history do it correctly

SDM

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.