diver.net

It's a Jelly-Eat-Jelly World

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on May 08, 2012 at 16:09:38:

Ho-hum. Another descent along the anchor line and there’s nothing in the water except these darn sea gooseberries. I’m not asking for much – a large comb jelly, perhaps a fried egg jelly, anything larger than a quarter. At only 5/8”, the abundant and ever-so-common sea gooseberry, Pleurobrachia bachei, doesn’t usually promise thrills and chills. But this day is different.

Propelled by 8 ciliated comb rows, sea gooseberries troll the water dragging 2 retractable tentacles. When fully extended, fine side-branches on the tentacles have specialized cells which adhere to fish larvae, copepods, eggs, and small crustaceans. My camera occasionally captures some of the larger copepods, which are barely visible to the naked eye.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The interior of the little gooseberry is pretty straightforward. Right next to the aboral anus (they have multiple anuses) is the balancing organ, or statocyst Even jellies need to know which way is up.

Photobucket

A pharynx fairly stuffed with prey.

Photobucket

Facing the prospect of nothing else to photograph, I continue snapping away at any Pleurobrachia that will cooperate. A spinning marble catches my eye. Wait, I’ve never seen a gooseberry do anything other than pulse along mostly upright. This one makes a crack-the-whip type of maneuver and plops a tentacle right on top of its mouth. Removing prey from the sticky tentacles must be an interesting trick.

Photobucket

Here comes a plucky gooseberry that looks like it bit off more than it can chew. Oh boy, it snared a Beroe comb jelly.

Photobucket

Wait a minute, who’s eating whom? Beroe species are famous for biting into or engulfing prey as large as they are. This young Beroe is devouring the sea gooseberry one mouthful at a time. Note the bites already inflicted.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

What a treat to witness the food chain in action!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to