diver.net

exerpt from dive log redondo thur night dive 5-10

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by halibug on May 11, 2012 at 06:12:11:

Mark and I arrived at Redondo and we could see right away conditions were going to be better than expected. Light wind, low surf, and the water had a very clean looking tidy bowl green blue color. We made the walk down to the Topaz Jetty and dropped into the shallows. Very nice conditions, 15' vis, 64 degree water summer like conditions. The jetty had lots of life, schools of Baitfish and perch, croakers, and we found some Halibut. I spotted a 22" fish that I passed on, then we found 2 more fish, 23" and 23.5", guess I should have taken one of these for our first fish of the season, but I passed hoping for larger specimens. We then compassed into the canyon. Down at 110' the water was 60 degrees, the thermalcline was at 120', and when we hit our max depth of 129' we were still not very cold. Vis was a consistent 15-20' and one of the highlights was small schools of 1" long Squid, this years fry. Plus all the schools of juvenile fish, Pipefish and multitudes of Crabs and Shrimp. We then swam back up the canyon wall, we did not want to get low on air at that depth. We were not expecting such warm clean water down in the canyon, hope these summer like conditions are here to stay.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to