diver.net

Re: Spearfishing books & Marineland

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on May 18, 2012 at 10:29:45:

In Reply to: Spearfishing books & Marineland posted by SDM on May 18, 2012 at 07:32:28:

Great personal history, Doctor Sam!

I remember visiting Marineland as a "must see" destination in the 1960's, then feeling oh so fortunate to share it with my daughters when they were young in the 1980's. Its location was perfect - majestic view of the ocean and Catalina, cool clean breezes on otherwise hot summer days. Walking down to where the sea lions played off the point and the pier that was famous from the Seahunt episodes.

Seaworld, as nice as it is, just isn't the same as it wasn't the first and it doesn't have that prominent position above and blending with the ocean.

It was so sad to see Marineland fall into disrepair and abandonment. One consolation was being able to dive the waters off the coast there.

I haven't been back to the site since that fancy condo project went in... guess I just want to remember it as it was and I had always the hope a visionary would renovate and reopen the place. I know Phil and others may disagree and I certainly enjoy thier photos and stories, but sometimes good memories are just best left as they were.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to