diver.net

Floods and duds in the crud

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 30, 2012 at 21:10:35:

Our day began on a usual note. The ocean was nice most of the week, then four foot swells arrived just in time for the weekend. After looking at the water three miles off Redondo Beach I decided to hit Hawthorne Reef again.
I clipped my camera off and geared up. When I got in the water, my housing was now suspiciously heavy. I had left the latches open and flooded the housing, frying the strobe circuitry. It can be repaired, but the Nikon D700 and 16-35mm wide angle lens are done. I have DAN insurance for the gear, so I'll see how good they are.

I grabbed the video rig instead and hoped for the best. The water seemed to get dirtier the deeper I went. A brown layer hovered three feet off the bottom, so I remained near the anchor. Visibility was about eight feet.

As we approached the Marineland platform for a second dive I couldn't see our buoy. It had been cut away from the new line I just installed. My drysuit will be going in for repair Monday. It's had a small leak in the crotch for a month. It's embarrassing when I get out of my suit and everyone points and laughs. Now I need a new housing, camera, lens and buoy and repaired drysuit. :(
Visibility at Marineland was a dismal five feet.

Here is my meager effort in poor visibility. I hope to be back shooting stills soon.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to