diver.net

Re: What would you like to see changed as with the Lobster Fishery?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by iuhalt on July 28, 2012 at 23:36:47:

In Reply to: What would you like to see changed as with the Lobster Fishery? posted by Chris on July 28, 2012 at 08:34:50:

Hello,
-I am relatively new to lobstering but do care about the sport and the species very much and don't want to see an end to either.
-I personally like the seven per day bag limit, you can catch enough to have a nice party if your into that. As a diver I think it can be more difficult to get this limit.
-All anecdotal accounts I have heard suggest that hoop netting allows a much easier limit so maybe the day cap should be less for hooper (opinion is not based on first hand info so correct me if I am wrong)
-If you had a season limit, say at 30 or 50 per person, you could not only predict maximum impact that the recreational community, but ultimately control those who stock pile and the hoopers/diver who are taking an overabundance. I THINK THE LIMIT SHOULD INTENTIONALLY START HIGH AND LOWER AS NEEDED
-The season limit would HAVE to REQUIRE the return of lobster card and have consequences if it was not returned.
-I think any Lobster over 7-8 lbs should be photographed and returned to the wild, I my self return any over five pounds because i think it is responsible and I have never felt deprived. So a MAXIMUM size limit for sure but some sort of stipulations for photos should be made (I know its petty but it is also fun so back off)
-FINALLY ALL CHOICES SHOULD NOT BE MADE WITH A BLANK CHECK OF CONSERVATION BUT SHOULD BALANCE BOTH HUNTING AND CONSERVATION, probably slightly more on the conservation side but still. To have these choices SUPPORTED BY SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE would even be better!
If you read this thank you for reading

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.