diver.net

What Lies Beneath

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on December 02, 2012 at 16:43:23:

I was convinced I would be doing yard work this weekend thanks to the approaching storms. Seven to nine feet surf was predicted for Los Angeles County. We stopped by Vet's yesterday to check out the high surf. Instead, we saw three footers with blue water. We called Kevin Lee and told him that diving was on for Sunday.

This morning the water was even flatter! I was really getting my hopes up. We motored to the wreck of the Avalon and dropped anchor into small swells. Visibility on the wreck was three to four feet. It was as if there was a filter in front of our eyes. I made the best of the situation, but couldn't get any decent photos.

We headed for the Hermosa Artificial Reef, hoping for better vis. Gliding down the anchor rode, the water looked much cleaner. As I reached the chain however, I couldn't see the bottom three feet below. Surge and less than two feet vis made for an even worse dive than the first. I stuck it out, hoping to find something interesting. I told myself several times under water that at least the air fills were free. I had hoped to sneak in a day of diving when everyone else stayed home. I should have done the same.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the