diver.net

Different Story In The Bay Today

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on December 23, 2012 at 17:38:11:

Captain Andy called yesterday with amazing news. In spite of the depressing predictions of wind and six foot swells, it was calm and flat in the Santa Monica Bay. When he told us about thirty feet vis, I planned my dives for this morning.

With Merry at home with the cold, Kevin Lee and I trekked northward to the Star of Scotland. We anchored in blue water. From fifty feet we could look up and see the boat. Unfortunately, the wreck sits in seventy feet. Conditions on the bottom were the usual five feet vis with silt stirred up. We never went more that twenty feet from the anchor. The only photo I got was a Pegea confoederata at the surface.

Pegea confoederata
Photobucket

We headed to the rock piles off Marina del Rey, hoping the blue water would reach sixty feet here. Different site, same story. Visibility at the top of the rocks was a decent twelve feet, but it was five feet at the sand. I got one image of a ronquil on the reef and a couple of shots of an Apolemia uvaria at the surface. If conditions allow, I will probably stick to Palos Verdes tomorrow.

Northern Ronquil, Ronquilus jordani
Photobucket

Apolemia uvaria
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black