diver.net

Not anticlimactic at all

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Merry on February 03, 2013 at 21:28:25:

Above the UB88 on Sat., swarms of zooplankton decorated the mid-water column. There's no way to estimate the number of species that provided the bounty. Some were too small and/or too zippy to photograph. On top of that, some were as transparent as glass and others "saw me coming". After finding 14 different species of gelatinous drifter, I could have flown home without the boat.

Only the size of a thumbnail, first sight of a Phronima sedentaria got my heart pounding. This hyperiid amphipod uses its can-opener-like claws to excavate and trim a salp tube to just the right size. The female lays her eggs around the barrel, and can be seen propelling the tiny little ship with her swimmeretes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This Phronima tenderly cares for her larvae.

Photobucket

Leuckartiara spp. approx. 1"

Photobucket

An approx. 4" calycophoran siphonophore, possibly Diphyes dispar

Photobucket

A heteropod, Carinaria japonica.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Another heteropod, Firoloida desmaresti, has a body size of only 1.5", and is almost completely transparent. I also saw these 20 miles away, at the Redondo Barge. You can't miss them, twisting and turning, dragging their egg strings. Couldn't get a decent shot, so I included a photo of a labeled specimen.

Photobucket

The mother of all net builders, this Corolla spectabilis was dragging a huge mucus web, laden with tiny animals that are beyond the resolution of my lens. If you zoom in, you can just make out the remnants of dozens of radially symmetrical spheres.

Photobucket

The common Cyclosalpa affinis was abundant.

Photobucket

Sunday on the Redondo Barge yielded a surprise nudi that is common at the Northern Channel Islands. Peter Gallup also found one on the barge, but Phil has never seen one in this neck of the woods.

Phidiana hiltoni

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We've only seen Cadlina modesta on the barge. There are actually 2 in this photo, and today Phil found a mating pair. Yay!

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's all folks!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the