diver.net

First dive in five weeks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 08, 2013 at 16:54:19:

Conditions around Palos Verdes finally sucked just enough to allow us to travel to San Pedro to fill our gas tanks. After five weeks out of the water I was ready to kill everyone I met. We stopped at the Caissons for our planned first dive. Blue surface water was a warm 66° with a little wind and current. We pulled ourselves down the line to a thermocline at sixty-five feet that not only dropped the visibility, but dropped the temperature fourteen degrees. The dirty layer was so thick that we had a night dive at 9:30 in the morning.

The Caissons were covered with Speckled Rockfish Sebastes ovalis. Because of the poor visibility, they stayed pretty close to the top of the structure. There were also Blue rockfish, Vermilions, Sheephead and Blacksmiths.

After a short dive and a run to the filling station we headed back around the peninsula looking for a second dive site. The south side was getting rough, so we headed for the Redondo Beach Artificial Reef. The surface water here was brown, so we headed back in. I hope I won't have to wait another five weeks for my next dive.

photo Caissons1_zpsf6351dca.jpg

photo Caissons2_zps6a74afff.jpg

photo Caissons4_zps6b712c5f.jpg

photo Caissons6_zps5fc502b3.jpg

photo Caissons10_zps3d05f0ab.jpg

photo Caissons7_zpsfb4978e4.jpg

photo Caissons9_zps3f86586e.jpg

photo Caissons8_zps707ae311.jpg

photo Caissons11_zps6c102857.jpg

photo Caissons12_zpsda70691a.jpg

Follow Ups:

Name: