diver.net

Phil and Merry's Annual Catalina Dives

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 07, 2013 at 17:26:54:

photo GoatHarbor1_zpseb4d4d54.jpg

I love diving the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Rockfish, invertebrates, sponges, crabs and nudibranchs are found nearly everywhere around the hill. Once a year or so, we begin yearning for some better visibility, so we tell ourselves that this will be the Catalina trip we come back from with outstanding photos. We were kidding ourselves...again.

We set up for wide angle and headed for Goat Harbor/Twin Rocks to get some shots of Giant Sea Bass in blue water with amber kelp in the background. We found twenty feet visibility in dark, sand-filled water, pretty much the same conditions we always find. We have no luck at timing our annual trip here. Merry pointed out two GSBs, but they were out of camera range and not stopping for autographs. We swam through the kelp and then covered the sandy cove but found nothing of interest.

We tucked our fins between our legs and made our way to Empire Landing. I knew we could save our day if we could at least get some shots of the Scythe butteryfish found there. We didn't see a single one. The only opistobranch I found all day was a Tylodina fungina out in the open.

photo GoatHarbor11_zps1d0db66f.jpg

photo GoatHarbor16_zpsde0ba7c8.jpg

photo GoatHarbor17_zpsbb960fa5.jpg

photo GoatHarbor2_zps7f0f5bb8.jpg

photo GoatHarbor3_zps500638d3.jpg

photo GoatHarbor5_zpsa4a4f8be.jpg

photo GoatHarbor6_zps90d60a56.jpg

photo GoatHarbor7_zps3ff65f47.jpg

photo GoatHarbor10_zpscb72a0aa.jpg

After surfacing, the wind had come up, making our trip home wet and bumpy. I think I'll stick to local diving, at least until next year.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to