diver.net

Re: Can anyone say if these are really off the CA coast.

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on September 11, 2013 at 22:39:39:

In Reply to: Can anyone say if these are really off the CA coast. posted by seahunt on September 11, 2013 at 17:26:03:

Don’t know about reef balls off So. Cal. I have heard that they are moderately productive in some Florida/East Coast sites, but I believe they are typically placed adjacent to an existing, healthy coral reef and serve as additional structure. I have my doubts as to their benefits in local waters. I say this because the Fish & Game concrete fish shelters that Max thoughtfully provided an image of are still kicking around and (having dived them many times) are amazingly unloved by our local fish population. There are a number of them off Sunset and some more - maybe 40 or so - on the Santa Monica Artificial Reef. They are rarely occupied, though other pipe, concrete and rock structure nearby usually holds a good population of calico, sand bass, Sargo, perch and Blacksmith. The so-called fish shelters are similar in structure to the reef balls, and because of that I would question the effectiveness of them. I would also note that you haven’t seen them used in any reefing projects since about the 60’s and though not stated anywhere, It seems that F&G came to the same conclusion. I would suggest that since they do not provide any nooks and crannies for inverts and juvenile fish, they are found to be wanting as structure for fish/invert habitation.
Just my observation over a couple of decades.
Stay wet.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.