diver.net

Re: Cortes Banks Recommendations

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on September 19, 2013 at 09:09:56:

In Reply to: Cortes Banks Recommendations posted by iuhalt on September 18, 2013 at 22:37:41:

That's my favorite place in the bight. I remember my first time there, it was fall back in '93 and i was kicking around the back side of SCI for a few days. The second morning was beautiful, i had the extra gas so i decided to venture out to the bank and look around. i had the 1st generation (all digital) GPS and you had to get numbers from a book. i made it out there on flat seas. Seeing the buoy for the first time was very fun! As i motored around, i found a place where the surface roiled. I thought it must be Bishop rock so i put on my wetsuit and swam over there--it was an awesome shipwreck. The Abalonia. I have spent 38 nights out there since then, i've had a few harrowing moments at that magical place but i can't wait to get back!

There is a fascinating book about the Cortes Bank called Ghost Wave. The author goes from prehistory to modern history of the bank--ship wrecks to surfing events.

Check out this trailer:

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.