diver.net

Hitting the pipe again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on November 12, 2013 at 18:48:59:

Merry has been asking to visit the White Point outfall pipes for awhile. We needed to get gas in the boat, so we cruised around the peninsula toward San Pedro. The ocean was dead calm with no wind in sight.

We dropped into surprisingly good visibility. San Pedro is not known for its great conditions. As the bottom came into view we could see the pipe was covered by marine life. I don't even want to mention what the inside of the pipe looks like.

photo WhitePoint7_zpsd1c100ee.jpg

photo WhitePoint10_zps3dcfc9e4.jpg

photo WhitePoint2_zpsebcd0b2a.jpg

photo WhitePoint11_zpsd54771cf.jpg

photo WhitePoint18_zps8051cde5.jpg

photo WhitePoint19_zps23c8cf26.jpg

photo WhitePoint20_zpsf1b8b42c.jpg

photo WhitePoint26_zps687a2b82.jpg

Besides the usual nudibranchs and top snails which are common on the pipe we found patches of squid eggs covering the surrounding sand. A large cabezon kept approaching my camera as if he was interested in his reflection.

photo WhitePoint3_zps04be4264.jpg

photo WhitePoint12_zpsed006ce3.jpg

After an hour at the zoo we ascended next to the kelp that is currently growing on the pipe. I found a tiny nudibranch that didn't look familiar. Merry and I took a ton of photos. It turned out to be a color variation of Triopha maculata, which I have plenty of in my image collection.

photo WhitePoint13_zpse1c33e96.jpg

Back on the boat, Merry asked if I saw the Melibe leoninas on the kelp. I hadn't, so after a visit to the fuel dock we returned to the pipe. We saw the same subjects as the first dive, except this time I found out why the cabezon kept approaching me. He was guarding his nest. We missed that completely on the first dive. I took a shot from a few feet away with my macro setup. I hope Merry's shots are better than mine.

photo WhitePoint22_zps6c33c9bb.jpg

photo WhitePoint25_zps00465051.jpg

photo WhitePoint23_zps12888647.jpg

photo WhitePoint24_zps49d972be.jpg

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full