diver.net

Re: Lobster advisory committee

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger on November 27, 2013 at 12:03:33:

In Reply to: Lobster advisory committee posted by Jim Lyle on November 26, 2013 at 17:53:37:

yes, thanks to Chris and Claudette.

I understand these are recommendations, not new law, but they don’t seem great for divers or even recreational fishermen, and I have to wonder if the commercials won again.

Looks like commercials get to increase their take by increasing traps by getting a second license and getting another 300 traps. Some of this is written in shorthand and it’s hard to tell what context its in. Maybe overall license count drops, it says trap count will somehow drop, but that’s not clear. Basically, it looks like commercials get to double up on licenses.

There’s a mention of divers being able to carry spearguns while hunting lobsters, that’s good, I know hunters that will be glad to be able to take fish and bugs on the same dive.

Recommends against recreational fisherman using conical traps. That won’t be popular.

Seasonal limit of 70 for recreational. Don’t like it.
-Do the commercials have a yearly limit? they catch twice what recreationals do. “Recent lobster report card results suggest that the recreational take adds an additional 30 to 60 percent to the commercial catch.” from : www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/lobsterfmp/assessment.asp
-A limit of 70 seems redundant with making recreational fishermen use conical nets. Just limiting to 70 would keep them from having to re-buy nets, and would let them limit out in fewer trips, saving fuel and effort.
-I’ve rarely taken 70 in a season. The main reason is that my work schedule doesn’t let me get on as many dive boats as I’d like. If I had a normal job, I’d be getting on a lot of dive boats and I’d probably hit 70 most years… this would make me think twice about getting on lobster trips in the spring, most likely. That’s bad for dive boats and dive clubs, and they don’t need any more pain.

Make recreationals clip tails to make it harder to sell recreational caught lobster. Sure, why not. Hope it helps. It’ll probably only receive soft enforcement, people don’t really understand how the lobster card works (you have to start a line before you start fishing), and apparently people don’t understand when the season starts. So many probably wont do this. But if it helps a little, why not.

6 am start instead of midnight start. Don’t like it. Staying up until midnight is fun.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to