diver.net

Payback for all the good dives we've been having

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on November 30, 2013 at 17:59:35:

Last weekend we dived after two days of rain and had blue water. Today we pushed our luck after two more rainy days and paid for it. The water at the Redondo Beach artificial reef was dark, gloomy and gave us just enough surge to make photography even more difficult. I only took nineteen images during the dive and should have stopped taking them sooner. The only fun I had on this dive was finding a green paddle worm, possibly Phyllodoce novaehollandiae.

photo RedondoBarge2_zpsd9fbd9d2.jpg

photo RedondoBarge4_zpsd6a537c1.jpg

photo RedondoBarge3_zpsa6c9f84e.jpg

I couldn't find the snail that I saw last week. I wanted to get a shot of its shell for Paul Kanner. I took an obligatory shot of the yellow fringehead that Merry found and searched for anything photo-worthy. I looked up and found what would have made a nice photo in better visibility, but I couldn't fit the four foot Mola Mola in the frame with my macro setup. It was within arm's reach and turned vertically to be cleaned. When it finally noticed me it flew away like a rocket.

photo RedondoBarge1_zps45c2b71d.jpg

We moved to Honeymoon Cove for our next dive, but visibility was closing in while we sat out our surface interval. I suggested Hawthorne Reef instead. I hoped for better visibility offshore, but it was more of the same.

I took a picture of a dime sized orange cup coral and moved on. Back on the surface, Kevin said he saw the cup corals spawning. My one photo looks like it is full of eggs. I probably missed a great shot by a minute or so.

photo HawthorneReef2_zps6d262d38.jpg

photo HawthorneReef1_zpsa7db2b4e.jpg

We might try to dive again tomorrow, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Who knows? Maybe December will give us great conditions like October and most of November did.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to