diver.net

Re: Big Bugs & The Bends

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sheller on December 16, 2013 at 16:46:27:

In Reply to: Big Bugs & The Bends posted by Labugman on December 14, 2013 at 23:12:09:

Great story Bugman, I remember you well from my days working on the Westerly. You were a damn good bug diver back then. I am glad you escaped your bends incident with no lasting results. This story should be a lesson to all of us. Be careful down there. I too have been very fortunate to have survived a serious bends incident that resulted from pushing the limit.. I did a 4 hour in-water re-compression using the Australian method. I had no other choice. Remote area with no chamber. I was hit after my 6th dive of a very long day while in the Solomons. My computer said I was okay. But no. I came up after a safety stop and was hit as soon as I reached the boat. Major pain down my back and I collapsed on the deck. Couldn't feel my legs. Quick thinking by our Australian guide saved my ass. With in less than a minute he had a tank on me and took me down to 20 meters where I got my legs back. He worked with me bringing fresh tanks until I surfaced around 9 at night. There were 2 doc.s on that trip. They went into the hospital and got saline solution and IV'd to rehydrate me. I'm fine and still diving on a regular basis. I was extremely lucky. My point is: We all think we are invincible until it happens to us. I think of the pioneer of the Southern California dive-boat industry and founder of Truth Aquatics, Roy Hauser as a prime example. His bends incident resulted in injury that is permanent . No lobster, ship-wreck relic or any other under-water treasure is worth risking your physical well-being. Be safe and enjoy the diving.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to